REVIEW: NECA's SDCC Exclusive Gears of War JACE STRATTON

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

NECA's SDCC Exclusive Gears of War JACE STRATTON

A tough looking new addition for your COG army...

For a great selection of video game action figures and collectibles, check out BigBadToyStore.com, ToyWiz.com, PastGenerationToys.com, Urban-Collector.com, HobbyLinkJapan.com, and Sekaido.com.

For a great selection of video game t-shirts and apparel, check out TShirtGurus.com and 80sTees.com.

NECA has provided us with an advance look at their San Diego Comic-Con exclusives to share with our readers in anticipation of the show. These action figure exclusives will be sold at NECA's Comic-Con booth #3145 July 21-25 priced at $20 and will be offered via their Amazon storefront in limited quantities for those that can not attend.

NECA and Gears of War. The pairing has been a Gearhead's dream come true, with wave after wave of their favorite COG soldiers and Locust being produced in amazing action figure form. It's been pretty quite on the front line this year, but the gears are still turning. While fans wait with baited breath on news of the Kantus, Skorge and remaining Boomers, the BIG news has already been announced: Gears of War 3. Fans will get a look at some of these new figures next week at Comic-Con. They'll also have a chance to take home what could be considered a GOW 3 preview figure: JACE STRATTON.

The exclusive in question depicts the COG soldier as he appears in the comic books series, but the packaging is clearly labled "Gears of War 3" in honor of his appearance in the upcoming game. And what a package it is. Jace comes in an elongated clamshell with exclusive Comic-Con sticker and bloody red Crimson Omen backdrop. What's super cool is that the backdrop - a seperate piece of plastic inserted into the clamshell - is translucent, allowing you to view the figure from behind. The effect is similar to when you're dying in the game, with the screen fading out in red. I'm an opener, but this is a rare instance where I really dig the look of the figure in pack. Think I may have to pick up another at the show...

Jace is a bad hombre, heavily influenced by his hero, Marcus Fenix. As such, Jace wears Marcus' COG armor in the comic, sculpted in all its futuristic glory on the exclusive figure. It's nothing fans haven't seen before, having been treated to the design with the numerous Marcus Fenix figure releases over the years, but that doesn't change the fact that it still looks awesome.

Speaking of looks, it has been pointed out that Jace rolls up his sleeves in the comic, and yes, that is a small omission on this figure. It has been said time and time again that new sculpts require new tooling, which in turn requires more money. For a show specific, limited edition figure like Jace Stratton, it is simply not economically realistic to go to such lengths. Fans may digress, but it's the truth of the situation. I'm personally impressed at what NECA has done with the materials at hand, as the new headsculpt alone makes this a figure worth owning.

Just look at the mug. NECA's sculptors captured rock solid determination and overall badassery with this portrait. The character's cornrow hairstyle and silver studs further define Jace's tough look, making this figure a unique new addition to your COG army.

Like all Gears of Wars figures, NECA adds value with weaponry. Jace packs the standard COG-issue Lancer rifle and a Gnasher Shotgun, both of which look killer in his hands. Jace strikes me as an in-your-face kind of guy, so I have him posed with shotgun at the ready.

The Jace Stratton action figure may not be 100% comic-accurate, but it's a 100% cool looking Comic-Con exclusive. Gears of War collectors looking for their next figure fix will be awed with Jace's realistic headsculpt. The only problem fans are going to have is whether to open him or not - the packaging design is too slick. My advice: buy two.

Review and Photos by Jeff Saylor

Review Sample Courtesy of NECA

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jaceALL.jpg 
Views:	7114 
Size:	162.1 KB 
ID:	9092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jacecole.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	9093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jacecole2.jpg 
Views:	6008 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	9094   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jacemarcus.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	9095   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jacemarcus2.jpg 
Views:	8644 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	9096  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jacePACKBACK.jpg 
Views:	15239 
Size:	264.1 KB 
ID:	9097   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jacePACKBACK2.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	9098   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jacePACKBACK3.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	9099   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jacePACKCLOSE.jpg 
Views:	4516 
Size:	271.6 KB 
ID:	9100   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jacePACKCLOSE2.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	333.6 KB 
ID:	9101  

Name:	1jacePACKCLOSE3.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	9102   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jacePACKFRONT.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	238.4 KB 
ID:	9103   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jacePACKSIDE.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	9104   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jacePACKSIDE2.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	9105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jaceTOP.jpg 
Views:	5799 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	9106  

Name:	jaceTOP.jpg 
Views:	14731 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	9107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jace1.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	191.7 KB 
ID:	9112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jace2.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	9113   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jace3.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	9114   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jace4.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	9115  

Name:	jace5.jpg 
Views:	3920 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	9116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jace6.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	9117   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jace7.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	9118   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jace8.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	9119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jace9.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	255.5 KB 
ID:	9120  

Name:	jace10.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	9121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jace11.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	9122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jace12.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	257.1 KB 
ID:	9123   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jace14.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	264.8 KB 
ID:	9124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jaceHEAD.jpg 
Views:	4704 
Size:	287.6 KB 
ID:	9125  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thumbs up Re: NECA's SDCC Exclusive Gears of War JACE STRATTON

'Badassery' is the perfect word to describe this figure, i am amazed and cannot wait to get my hands on one, i wont be attending the convention though so lets hope i get one of those limited quantities

Re: NECA's SDCC Exclusive Gears of War JACE STRATTON

'Badassery' is the perfect word to describe this figure
    LOL, it just kinda popped in my head It's not even a real word I now see, though it is listed in the Urban Dictionary.

:O Can't wait to get one! (hopefully!!!)
    Do you know when we can expect to see the figures on Neca's Amazon storefront?

I believe (going purely off memory) that last year the exclusives went up Aug 1st on Amazon.

This figure is awesome. I really like that they made him more "real world" looking rather than going with the comic art, he fits in perfectly with the line that way. I honestly think that head sculpt just kills most of the human head sculpts we've seen. NECA's constant improvement is just mind blowing. REALLY makes me hungry for replacements of Cole and Baird in their pre Gears 3 look.

And as a fig fan of the comic, I honestly never noticed his rolled up sleeves, so that in no way hurts the figure to me. Head sculpt is WAY too amazing to knock anything else on the figure.

Yeah that is just absolutely the bees knees. I'm the same way, I open my toys, but damn if that isn't some of the neatest exclusive packaging I've seen west of Mattel.

I say if the arms bother your that much you might be able to get away with some MOTUC armsor something. A little paint and voila. Maybe not quite as big as you might like, but there's a ton of figures out there now with this type of arm articulation, so no big deal. Personally, I think he looks marvelous.

And Mephisto's right, that headsculpt just knocks it out of the park. Hell, it knowcks it out of the county. Awesome work NECA, hope we'll see a lot on Amazon

It's a great headsculpt but it's just a shame that it's the only new thing about the figure. We didn't even get a slightly different weapon selection, just the same old Lancer and Gnasher, a Hammer of Dawn would have been nice. That said, it's a good convention exclusive, didn't cost much to produce and casual fans won't be missing out on an important GoW 2 character if they skip him.

Quote Originally Posted by agent_85 View Post
    That said, it's a good convention exclusive, didn't cost much to produce and casual fans won't be missing out on an important GoW 2 character if they skip him.
    Very well said. And good call on the HoD, too, I would love to see that show up at some point!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.