REVIEW: Weta's Halo MASTER CHIEF and ARBITER Statue

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

Weta's Halo MASTER CHIEF and ARBITER Statue

Two Halo legends. One legendary sculpture...

The Master Chief and Arbiter statue is available NOW through Weta's website priced at $225 and limited to 1000 pieces. However, Figures.com readers are in luck: Enter the promo code FIGURESDOTCOM50 upon check out to get the Master Chief and Arbiter statue for only $175 - a full $50 off! Act now, this amazing offer ends July 11.

Halo-mania is back. Not that it ever went away, but with the Fall release of Bungie's HALO: REACH mere months away, fan excitement has returned at an all-time high. I'm as thrilled as the next guy, but part of me longs for simplier times. Master Chief times. You see "Reach" isn't Master Chief's story - it's Noble Team's tale, a new squad of Spartan supersoldiers. And while I bet we'll see an MC cameo, I'm sure going to miss playing our big green hero.

Thankfully, there is a solution to those like myself suffering from Master Chief withdrawl... and I'm not talking about playing Halo 3 for the 100th time. There are collectibles worthy of the legendary Spartan himself; sculpted monuments that will forever remind you of John-117's honorable place in Halo lore. I'm talking about Weta Workshop's stunning range of Halo statues, most notably, MASTER CHIEF AND ARBITER. Just released, this dynamic 10.2" H x 12.6" W x 7.9" D sculpture stars the mighty MC and his most unlikely of allies and friends, the Covenant Arbiter. The epic piece retails for $225, but for a limited time our readers can save 20%. Check out our amazing offer above.

PACKAGING: As one would expect with a statue of this size, the entire piece ships in a very big box. Images of the actual statue are wisely used on all sides of the package while other collectibles in Weta's diverse Halo collection - replica helmets, statues and fine jewelry - make an appearance on the back. In addition to the visual checklist (love that Cortana statue), the back of the box also enlightens the collector with a brief history lesson on the MC and Arbiter's relationship, the statue's diminsions and edition size, as well as the team responsible for bringing this stunning sculpture to life. I realize any collectible released is a undertaking, but I was honestly surprised by the number of people involved on this project. A team effort, indeed.

A fully licensed collectible, the Master Chief and Arbiter statue prominently features the franchise's all-encompassing title - "HALO" - on all sides of the package. For those that can't wait to see what number they got, the statue's edition size is conveniently stamped on the bottom of the box. For the record, mine is 239 out 1000 made.

Flipping open the top flap reveals the Master Chief and Arbiter safely sealed between two large Styrofoam clamshells. What's truly incredible is that the statue - aside from the Arbiter's sword-clutching hand - is entirely one piece. Usually a sculpture of this size ships in two pieces, requiring you to attach the characters to the base. The Master Chief and Arbiter, however, is one solid unit, needing only the simple step of placing the Arbiter's hand on via powerful rare earth magnets. In fact, if it wasn't for the sword's very fragile nature, I am sure that even this basic assembly would have been omitted. But the translucent sword IS very delicate, despite being cast of what appears to be a semi-flexible resin. Take care pulling the part free. In fact, take extra precaution removing the entire statue. Because it is one piece, it can be quite stubborn coming out of its deep Styrofoam mold.

SCULPT: When planning to purchase a high-end pop culture statue, two things are crucial to my decision: Subject matter and composition. Especially composition. Anyone can make a statue, slap a hot license on it, and watch it sell, but without dynamic composition, it's just another boring, licensed statue. Weta's Master Chief and Arbiter statue easily fits both my criteria by showcasing two very cool Halo charaters in a manner that looks amazing from ALL angles.

The Master Chief and Arbiter statue is anchored by a large circular base sculpted with ancient Forerunner architecture and "Halo 3" etched on the "front". Heavy and broad, the base not only provides a solid platform for the statue to rest on, but its round shape is key to the sculpture's flowing composition. You can display your statue with the Master Chief front and center, or rotate the sculpture around so the Arbiter is the star. However you turn the statue, it looks great. I plan on purchasing a revolving stand to perpetually spin my statue on display.

To one side stands the Master Chief, trusty Assault Rifle at the ready and a powerful Magnum Pistol holstered for quick backup. The MC is captured confidently stepping forward, with chest thrust out and head held high; his faceless visor focused on something in the distance.

Looming tall behind the Spartan is the Arbiter, pulsating Plasma Sword charged and lethal. The Arbiter's legs are dug in a defensive position, braced for battle, while the stern look on his face further conveys the message that war is on.

The sculpt on both characters is phenomenal. Weta delivers Halo's iconic sci-fi armor designs in remarkable detail. The Master Chief's MJOLNIR MK VI battle suit is an intricate maze of sharp panel lines and angular armor plates, the sculpt faithfully replicating that seen in Halo 3. In eye-pleasing contrast, the Arbiter's more medieval, curved armor shines bright with otherworldly charm. The ocean of ornate decorations that cover the Arbiter's armor are particularly breathtaking, each swirling pattern lovingly sculpted with dedicated precision. Also of note is the Arbiter's unique energy weapon. Cast of translucent resin, the thin, tapering duel-bladed sword springs to life with realistic swirling patterns inside. It's quite beautiful.

PAINT: Pulling this statue together is an exceptional paint job. Hardcore Halo fans will immediately note the more muted color palette used on this piece, something I find very refreshing on a Halo collectible. Instead of glaring green and brilliant bronze for the armor, Weta has subdued the two warrior's appearance to look more rough and weathered.

The matte colors ground the statue in realism and allow the few reflective accents - the MC's gold visor, Arbiter's sword and eyes - to literally shine through. Additionally, the toned down colors really help bring out all the sculpted armor detail, something you have to see up close and in person to truly appreciate.

COST: Fine art comes at a price and the Master Chief and Arbiter statue is no exception. Priced at $225, the Master Chief and Arbiter statue is an investment that passionate Halo fans will feel good about. I own a few high-end resin collectibles and given the statue's limited production run (1000 pieces), large size, quality paint and detailed sculpt, the Master Chief and Arbiter is justified at $225. However, Weta has teamed with Figures.com to offer something even better for our readers. Enter the promo code FIGURESDOTCOM50 upon check out at Weta's website to get the Master Chief and Arbiter statue for only $175 - a full $50 off! Act now, this amazing offer ends July 11.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: Bungie's Halo universe is extremely engaging sci-fi material; a fictional world that has expanded way beyond polygons and pixels into a full-blown pop culture phenomenon. Quailty collectibles like the Master Chief and Arbiter statue honor Halo as art. Pieces like this weren't just created for Halo fans, they were lovingly created BY Halo fans... and Weta is about as big a Halo fan as you get (Heck, they made their very own fully functional Warthog). If you are looking for a fitting tribute to two Halo legends, look no further then the Master Chief and Arbiter statue.

Review and Photos by Jeff Saylor

Review Sample Courtesy of Weta Workshop

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1MCARB arbclose.jpg 
Views:	26471 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	8327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1MCARB arbpaint.jpg 
Views:	10636 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	8328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1MCARB base.jpg 
Views:	14121 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	8329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1MCARB end1.jpg 
Views:	10717 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	8330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1MCARB end2.jpg 
Views:	26530 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	8331  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1MCARB mcclose.jpg 
Views:	13883 
Size:	238.1 KB 
ID:	8332   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1MCARB mcpaint.jpg 
Views:	9269 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	8333   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1MCARB pack.jpg 
Views:	9862 
Size:	254.8 KB 
ID:	8334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1MCARB packclose.jpg 
Views:	13662 
Size:	394.1 KB 
ID:	8335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1MCARB packopen.jpg 
Views:	13674 
Size:	256.4 KB 
ID:	8336  

Name:	1MCARB sword.jpg 
Views:	9906 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	8337   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1MCARB top.jpg 
Views:	26245 
Size:	174.3 KB 
ID:	8338   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4505.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	8339   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4506.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	8340   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4507.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	8341  

Name:	DSCF4508.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	8342   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4509.jpg 
Views:	592 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	8343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4510.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	8344   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4511.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	8345   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4512.jpg 
Views:	588 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	8346  

Name:	DSCF4514.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	8347   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4565.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	8348   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New-37.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	8349   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New-39.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	8350   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New-40.jpg 
Views:	4574 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	8351  

Name:	New-41.jpg 
Views:	538 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	8352   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New-50.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	292.5 KB 
ID:	8353   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New-60.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	8354   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New-63.jpg 
Views:	17712 
Size:	270.5 KB 
ID:	8355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New-67.jpg 
Views:	1389 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	8356  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.