REVIEW: Hasbro 6" Iron Man 2 WAR MACHINE

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

Hasbro 6" Iron Man 2 WAR MACHINE

Wal-Mart exclusive a winner...

For a great selection of superhero action figures and collectibles, check out fine sponsors BigBadToyStore.com, SuperHeroToys.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, PastGenerationToys.com, SmallJoes.com, HobbyLinkJapan.com, and Sekaido.com.

For a great selection of pop culture t-shirts and apparel, check out TShirtGurus.com and 80sTees.com.

One of the most requested Iron Man 2 figures on the mass market today is Hasbro's Wal-Mart Exclusive War Machine. The 6-inch scale figure is hot for a good reason: it's an incredibly well sculpted, accessorized and articulated collectible. Priced at $13, it is also an amazing value.

Sculpt-wise, the War Machine figure accurately captures the cool amped-up military look of the new armor worn by James 'Rhodey' Rhodes in the movie. It's like Hasbro's 3 3/4" War Machine super-sized. Fans of futuristic armored super soldiers will appreciate this new armor design, with its sharp, angular lines, gun metal grey paint scheme and tightly stenciled white military insignia.

Clothes may make a man, but high-tech weapons make a man kick ***. War Machine doesn't get his name for just looking tough, this armor suit comes bristling with guns including two forearm-mounted machine guns (with intricate yellow/black warning stripes), a shoulder-mounted chain gun with ammo belt and an optional missile pod.

The chain gun attaches to a mount that can slide the gun over his left or right shoulder. The weapon also features a swivel for side-to-side firing and a hinge joint that allows it to fold back when not in use. A flexible rubber ammo belt feeds into the weapon's right side and attaches to a slot on War Machine's back. It's a very cool display of firepower. The missile pod is also a favorite of mine. An armor piece on War Machine's right shoulder can be detached exposing a hole for you to mount the pod. If you'd rather display him without it, simply reattach the armor shard.

In addition to his many weapons, War Machine includes three pairs of interchangable hands, something you don't see too much of these days, especially on a mass market toy. One set comes fisted, another clutching partly open, and a third set fully open for cool repulsor beam action. I have mine posed with his right hand fisted and left splayed open for an intense battle-ready pose.

Arguably War Machine's most exciting feature is his high degree of articulation. War Machine is a prime example of how to properly combine sculpt and poseability for a great looking figure. Points include a ball-jointed head, ball shoulders with armored shoulder pads that move up and down, double-hinged elbows, swivel hands with armored wrist plates that hinge back and fourth, a highly poseable ball-joint in his mid-chest, ball-jointed thighs with an extra swivel cut, double-hinged knees, and ball-jointed feet. It's an incredible range of movement, with well-concealed joints that are firm, yet easy to position.

The Wal-Mart exclusive War Machine started popping up in stores early a few weeks ago; the lucky few who found them sending shockwaves through the collecting community. Be patient and don't resort to the inflated secondary market (unless you don't have a Wal-Mart). With Iron Man 2 hitting theaters today, Wal-Mart stores nationwide are stocking up hard on Iron Man toys, including the exclusive 6-inch War Machine and Mark VI. I found one easily last Saturday, and at $13, it's the best mass market action figure purchase I've made this year. Highly recommended.

Photos by David Yeh
    Review by Jeff Saylor

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1WM1.jpg 
Views:	8490 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	5822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1WM2.jpg 
Views:	552 
Size:	280.1 KB 
ID:	5823   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1WM3.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	5824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1WM4.jpg 
Views:	436 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	5825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1WM5.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	5826  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1WM6.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	5827   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1WM7.jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	5828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1WM8.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	5829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1WM9.jpg 
Views:	6806 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	5830   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1WM10.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	5831  

Name:	1WM11.jpg 
Views:	17679 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	5832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1WM12.jpg 
Views:	42669 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	5833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1WM13.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	5834   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1WM14.jpg 
Views:	36886 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	5835   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1WM15.jpg 
Views:	9102 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	5836  

Name:	1WM16.jpg 
Views:	5582 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	5837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1WM17.jpg 
Views:	6199 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	5838   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1WM18.jpg 
Views:	5994 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	5839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1WM19.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	5840  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Hasbro 6" Iron Man 2 WAR MACHINE

I bought this guy late last week and I've got to say he is simply fantastic, the best iteration of the character I've ever seen. Price to quality, I'd say I'd rather have this than even the Hot Toys version coming out. He really is that good.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.