REVIEW: NECA's Nightmare on Elm Street FREDDY KRUEGER

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

NECA's Nightmare on Elm Street FREDDY KRUEGER

Get ready for a new Freddy...

For a great selection of film, comic and TV action figures and collectibles, check out BigBadToyStore.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, PastGenerationToys.com, MonkeyDepot.com, and Sekaido.com.

For a great selection of film, TV and pop culture t-shirts and apparel, check out TShirtGurus.com and 80sTees.com.

On April 30th, Warner Bros. is set to release the new Nightmare on Elm Street remake starring Jackie Earle Haley as Freddy Krueger. In anticipation of this brand new take on the Elm Street story, NECA brings us not one, but two action figures of the famed killer: A realistic figure of him as Fred Krueger before he was burned, and another figure depicting him in all his charred glory as Freddy Kueger.

PACKAGING: Both figures are packaged in the standard rectangular clamshell packaging that has become a standard with NECA. The package is surrounded by different images from the new film and features a miniature version of the first teaser poster on the front side of the package insert.

SCULPTING: Although the film has not yet been released, the full movie trailer reveals enough of Freddy to get a good idea of what he looks like. NECA's sculpt work on the Freddy figure seems to be dead-on to what he looks like in the movie. Freddy's new burnt look more accurately portrays a true burn victim's face - melted flesh and very little facial characteristics. This is very different from the make-up Robert Englund wore in the previous Nightmare films which preserved the actor's facial features and simply added scarring and tears all around. Freddy's sweater is finely detailed and has a realistic fabric texture which makes it look as if it were made of cotton rather than plastic. The fedora is made of flexible rubber and can be placed on Freddy's head in many different ways. The new bladed glove is highly detailed and does not look bad for such a particularly small piece.

The heads sculpts on Fred and Freddy Krueger are both well done, but the pre-Freddy head is amazing - bearing an uncanny likeness to actor Jackie Earle Haley.

PAINT: NECA has done a fantastic job with the detailing and color application on both figures. The Freddy heads are both painted in a hyper-realistic way and the detailing on the eyes particularly stands out in contrast with his burned face. The burned and tattered sweater is painted exceptionally well with plenty of dry-brushing and washes which make it look as if it were a real sweater.

ARTICULATION: Both Fred and Freddy Krueger feature the same amount of articulation, which consists of a ball-socket head, shoulders, wrists, elbows, waist and ankles. Although the legs have absolutely no articulation whatsoever, the rest of the body offers a vast range of motion that lets you pose the figure in several great poses.

ACCESSORIES: These figures do not include many accessories as none are truly needed for this particular character, however, the Fred Krueger figure does include an addition hand holding a mini steel rake. This additional accessory is particularly interesting as it seems to be the weapon that Fred initially uses to commit his murders before he decides to construct his knifed glove.

The Freddy figure includes an additional head with a more angry expression and additional facial scarring as well as a removable hat.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: These new Freddy figures are nothing like the previous toys from McFarlane, Mezco or even NECA themselves, but after all, it is a new take on the character and no longer Robert Englund. From what I have seen in the trailer, it looks like this movie is going to be really great and I am particularly fond of these new action figures that NECA has produced. Whether you are a hardcore Freddy fan like me or just a horror aficionado, these great action figures from the new film are a must-have.

For more images of NECA's new Freddy Krueger action figures, CLICK HERE!

Review and Photos by Jorge Pelaez
    Review Samples Courtesy of NECA

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1bothfreds.jpg 
Views:	77910 
Size:	407.3 KB 
ID:	4032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1fredEND.jpg 
Views:	66482 
Size:	271.3 KB 
ID:	4033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1FreddyGear.jpg 
Views:	32307 
Size:	255.2 KB 
ID:	4035   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1FreddyMOVE.jpg 
Views:	38336 
Size:	290.1 KB 
ID:	4036   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1Fred1.jpg 
Views:	34161 
Size:	300.3 KB 
ID:	4037  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1Freddy1.jpg 
Views:	72729 
Size:	276.3 KB 
ID:	4038   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1FIREFREDDY.jpg 
Views:	45864 
Size:	251.5 KB 
ID:	4040   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1glove.jpg 
Views:	43098 
Size:	248.4 KB 
ID:	4041   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1boiler1.jpg 
Views:	28634 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	4046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1boiler2.jpg 
Views:	23855 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	4047  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1boiler3.jpg 
Views:	22627 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	4048  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: NECA's Nightmare on Elm Street FREDDY KRUEGER

I saw these Nightmare on Elm Street figures advertised on a few sites. I am so excited about getting these!

I have just spent a fair bit collecting the originals and these new Nightmare on Elm Street figures will look awesome on my shelf!

Re: NECA's Nightmare on Elm Street FREDDY KRUEGER

Wow, he looks awesome! The sculpt on his legs looks good enough that I don't mind having no articulation there, he's not Spider-Man or anything so I don't really think he needs any. The upper body is disguised very well in the sweater sculpt so he looks great there too. Not normally NECA's bad, but I think if they had articulated the fingers individually on the glove they could have gotten a lot more personality out of him. Still, that's probably the only thing I can think of that would make him any cooler. Probably going to have to add this to the shelves.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.