NECA: All-New Jakob's CLAPTRAP

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

All-New Jakob's CLAPTRAP

NECA Keeps the Borderlands Bot Alive...

Due to retailer demand, NECA will be releasing an all-new version of everyone's favorite Borderlands 'bot, CLAPTRAP. Following the blue paint variant, appropriately called Claptrap Blu14, comes this all-new Jakob's Claptrap. For those unfamilar with the game, Jakob's is one of the many weapon manufacturers in Borderlands, their aesthetic being very "steampunk" - with lots of wood paneling and brass details. The Jakob's Claptrap first appeared in the Borderlands' DLC The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned. The figure will feature all the bells and whistles of the original release (read our review HERE) including poseable arms, rolling wheel, retractable antenna, and a base that resemble Pandora's rocky/sandy grounds. Jakob'e Claptrap is scheduled for release this June with retailer pre-orders starting next week.

For fans wondering about NECA's other proposed Borderlands figures - including player characters Zer0 and the Gunzerker (see HERE) - well, the news isn't too good. Claptrap has proven extremely popular at retail (rightfully so), while the other figure release, Psycho Bandit, was a bit of a disappoint in terms of sales. Because of this, retailers are being very hesitant about selling other Borderlands character figures. As such, NECA continues to appease Borderlands fans with Claptrap variants, but their other planned figures are currently on hold. Hey, something is better than nothing, right?

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with Collectibles Insurance, the official insurance company of the Figures.com network. Say "Figures.com" to get 5% off your first term premiums.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, PlasmaInfusion.com, Toynk.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, and MonkeyDepot.com.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jakobsclap.jpg 
Views:	5954 
Size:	162.1 KB 
ID:	73132  
    Last edited by JeffSaylor; 03-15-2013 at 10:56 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: All-New Jakob's CLAPTRAP

They didn't sell well because at the time no one knew if Vault Hunters were getting released. The best description I heard in another review on a blog was that it was the equivalent of releasing a Star Wars line with only a Stormtrooper and R2.

On these smaller riskier projects, NECA really over extends themselves I feel. The big licensed thing are sure bets so of course they get more. But if you're not going to commit to the smaller properties, don't bother. I don't want half of a core cast or one person from a core cast. I want THE CORE CAST. NECA does this all the time with the smaller licenses and then they over do the repaints, murdering interest in the first degree and then go, oh well, they didn't sell, we can't do any more. Well you probably should have seen that coming. If you can't afford to do the whole core cast of something (especially when there are only 4) just don't. Just pass on the license so someone else with the dough CAN. Psycho bandits are the least visually interesting bad guys in Borderlands, despite the fact that they're on the box. If they'd done a single remotely interesting boss, one that could have appealed to people on a purely artistic level, that MIGHT have worked.

But nothing works like the core characters. That's licensed toy retailing kindergarten. I mean c'mon...

That being said, sure I'll take another Clappy. Why not... at least Portal is getting handled well, assuming the two bots and some in scale turrets actually do happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mephisto1138 View Post
    at least Portal is getting handled well, assuming the two bots and some in scale turrets actually do happen.
    aren't the blindbox kidrobot turrets in scale with the figures?

Also yeah talking claptrap didn't happen but the price of a talking claptrap did. I bought a claptrap I guess i'll get this one but I was really looking forward to Zero and Salvador couldn't they just kickstarter it to see if there is a real interest :/
    Silence is Golden
    I love the smell of flowers
    did you just let one?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

aren't the blindbox kidrobot turrets in scale with the figures?
    Actually those blindbox Turrets are made by WizKids/ NECA. Here's a pic of them with NECA's new Chell action figure. I do think they are a tad too small (yet look fine for display purposes). The second photo shows Chell next to the ThinkGeek Portal Turret "talking flashlight" - which is closer to scale. I do believe they are rather large, like 3ft tall, though they always struck me as being small in the game.

Last edited by JeffSaylor; 03-16-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.