The Wacky Wobbler king expands with new vinyl, plush and electronics...
Toy Fair 2010 coverage brought to you by the following fine sponsors: BigBadToyStore.com, PastGenerationToys.com, and Sekaido.com (YesAnimation.com).
Funko, home of the beloved Wacky Wobbler, continues to take pop culture by the throat by aggressively acquiring a slew of new licenses, both retro and modern. The company is also expanding in 2010 to include a host of new product outside the relam of bobble heads, including an extensive new plush line and the introduction of electronics in the form of headphones and lamps. Here's some highlights that were on display or announced at Toy Fair this year:
* CLASH OF THE TITANS: While other companies focus on the new film, Funko travels back to the 1981 classic to bring fans Wacky Wobblers of Bubo the Owl and Medusa.
* KICK-***: Not on display, but set to feature Wacky Wobblers of Kick-***, Red Mist, Hit Girl and Hit Girl Superhero.
* LORD OF THE RINGS: Wacky Wobblers of Sauron, Gandalf, Frodo, Gollum and Legolas are due out this year. Also look for new mini vinyl figures of Gandalf, Frodo, Witch King and Gollum, as well as new plushies of Gandalf, Frodo, Legolas, and an Orc.
* WIZARD OF OZ: Lokk for Wacky Wobblers of Dorthy, Wicked Witch, Scarecrow, Tin Man, Cowardly Lion, Winkie and a Winged Monkey. The timeless movie will also receive a plus assortment starring Dorthy, Scarecrow, Tin Man, Cowardly Lion, Wickd Witch and the Flying Monkey.
* ALICE IN WONDERLAND: Another property where Funko is going classic, not new. Expect Wacky Wobblers of Alice, Cheshire Cat, White Rabbit and Mad Hatter, along with plushies of the same characters.
* ANIMAL HOUSE: Not shown at the show, this series will feature a Belushi Wacky Wobbler and Belushi Bobble Car.
* STAR WARS: A popular license for Funko, the line will expand to include new Funko Force figures (bobbling action figures) of Emperor Palpatine, Darth Maul and a Shock Trooper. Electronics also make their Funko debut using Star Wars as their main focus. These include high quality DJ headphones (Stormtrooper and Vader), retractable character earbuds (the buds are their arms) called Jambot of a Stormtrooper, Darth Vader and Yoda, and cool new lamps of a Stormtrooper, Darth Vader and Boba Ftt. The latter also feature an LED alarm clock in the base and a plug-in to play your MP3 device through the built-in speakers. The most exciting new Star Wars product from Funko was a new a stylized line of vinyl figures called Star Wars Mash-Ups (picture at top). Fully licensed and appoved by Lucasfilm, the series takes popular Star Wars characters and translates them into retro movie monsters. Look for Vader (a Frankenstein monster), Yoda (hunchback), Chewbacca (werewolf) and Stormtrooper (zombie) to launch the line.
* RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER: The holiday claymation classic will receive Wacky Wobblers of Rudolph, Bumbles, Hermey and Santa, in addition to plushies of Rudolph, Hermey, Bumbles and the Misfit Elephant.
* IRON MAN 2: In time for the new movie, look for Wacky Wobblers of Iron Man Mark VI , War Machine and Whiplash, Funko Force figures of Iron Man Mark VI, War Machine and a cool clear Holographic Iron Man, Nodniks of Iron Man Mark VI and Warmachine, AND a new Iron Man MArk VI Lamp.
For a great selection of action figures and collectibles, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, SmallJoes.com, MonkeyDepot.com.
For a great selection of pop culture t-shirts and apparel, check out TShirtGurus.com and 80sTees.com.