D23 EXPO 2013: Disney Infinity
New Collectible Figures Game Launching August 18th...
To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with Collectibles Insurance, the official insurance company of the Figures.com network. Say "Figures.com" to get 5% off your first term premiums.
To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, AlterEgoComics.com, Toynk.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, and MonkeyDepot.com.
By David Yeh
Attention, Disney and Gamer fans! From Disney Interactive comes a game so ambitious, they’ve already announced phase two of the game that’s not even released! Introducing Disney Infinity, an all-new video game for multiple platforms (Xbox, Playstation, WiiU, Wii) and stars characters from both Walt Disney and Pixar Studios. Players can collect real-world toy versions of their favorite Disney Characters onto an Infinity Base and transport that character into the virtual game world, much like TRON. Speaking of TRON, presence is seriously lacking but from the previews, TRON is definitely in the game in some shape or form.
Slated to be released on Sunday, August 18th, Disney Infinity gives players a chance to play in the worlds of Monsters University, The Incredibles, Cars, Pirates of the Caribbean, and even the not so popular Lone Ranger! (Seeing that Lone Ranger is in the game actually makes me mega happy.)
What’s really fantastic about this (or scary) is that you really don’t need the game if you want to just collect the various figures. Disney, finally ceasing an opportunity to really take advantage of their roster of characters can really go to town if they chose to. And with their latest announcement of new characters, infinity is just the tip of the iceberg.
Just announced this weekend at the D23 Expo in Anaheim is a Toy Story in Space Play Set featuring Buzz, Jessie and Woody (Woody sold separately); becoming the sixth play set for Disney Infinity coming in October.
New Characters were also announced for October as well:
- Just in time for Halloween: Jack Skellington from Tim Burton’s “The Nightmare Before Christmas”
- The first Disney Princess to be introduced into the Disney Infinity line-up: Rapunzel, from Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “Tangled”
- Video game characters from a movie within a video game: Wreck-It Ralph and Vanellope from Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “Wreck-It Ralph”
- The first Disney Channel characters to be showcased in the Toy Box: Phineas and Agent P from the Disney Channel’s “Phineas and Ferb”
- Keeping it cool: Anna and Elsa from the upcoming Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “Frozen”
- Leader of the pack: Sorcerer’s Apprentice Mickey
Attendees to the Disney Interactive Presentation at the D23 Expo were treated to an early peak at Sorcerer Mickey (pictured top) and even given a figure to take home.
Characters available soon include:
- Mike, Sulley, Randy from Monsters University
- Mr. Incredible, Mrs. Incredible, Violet, Dash, Syndrome from The Incredibles
- Jack Sparrow, Barbossa, Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean
- Lone Ranger, Tonto from The Lone Ranger
- Lightning McQueen, Mater, Francesco Bernoulli, Holley Shiftwell from Cars 2
The playing field really is limitless if the game is popular, and I hope it is. Just the thought of seeing some obscure Disney characters turned into characters and toys has me giddy.
Find Disney Infinity in stores Sunday, August 18th.
By David Yeh