SDCC13: Diamond Select Toys Panel
Updates And News On Great Properties...
To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with Collectibles Insurance, the official insurance company of the Figures.com network. Say "Figures.com" to get 5% off your first term premiums.
To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, Toynk.com, BriansToys.com, and MonkeyDepot.com.
Diamond Select Toys was in full force at Comic-Con, with their usual substantial booth getting as much attention for its display cases as it did for the new products it was showing off! Late on Sunday Marketing Supervisor Zach Oat hosted the official DST Panel, and we’ve got the scoop. Slides were shown in rapid succession (which you can see HERE), and here are quick notes on what we saw:
- 1966 TV Batman: busts starting with Adam West Batman and Burt Ward Robin (no photography allowed). More to come after the initial two.
- Femme Fetales: 2nd Lady Death, Invincible’s Atom Eve, Star Trek Voyager’s 7 of 9
- Ghostbusters: 24 inch vinyl Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, light and sound Ghostbusters Headquarters
- Knight Rider: 1/15 scale Super Pursuit KITT with new parts and appropriate sounds, then KARR
- Lenore: PVC figure set
- Lost in Space: B9 robot
- Marvel Silicone Trays: Spider-Man, Iron Man, Mjolnir
- Marvel Select: movie The Wolverine (with 3 alternate heads and sets of hands - no base), comics Silver Surfer (with intricate base and removable board), then Thor: The Dark World Thor and Jane Foster (with connecting Dark Matter bases)
- Marvel Metal Bottle Openers (with magnets to display on your fridge): Ghost Rider next
- Munsters: Series 3 in the Fall with 4 figures. Gilbert will only be available at specialty stores, and the other three will appear there in “select” versions with parts to build the staircase and Spot. Also the upcoming Glow in the Dark Koach reminscent of the old model kit.
- Star Trek Electronic Light and Sound Ships: U.S.S. Excelsior coming up, then DST is working on a reissue of the Enterprise-A (and putting a lot of work into it)
- Star Trek Select Figures: Picard with a Borg-themed base
- Star Trek Other Products: 10 inch vinyl banks of classic Spock and Kirk, reissue of vibrating and sound Tribbles, Enterprise and Kirk Granix art, The Next Generation silicone tray
- Star Wars Bust Banks: Appo, Clone Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi, Thire, Cad Bane, Clone Wars Darth Maul
- Star Wars Bottle Openers: Darth Vader then Boba Fett
- The Walking Dead Banks: Black & White Zombie, Full Color Zombie, Michonne Pet Zombie, Rick Grimes
- The Walking Dead Bottle Openers: One-Eyed Zombie, Michonne Pet Zombie
- Universal Monsters: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Due by Halloween, the Select version will feature interchangeable parts to display as either character, additional parts, a base, etc. Meanwhile, the Toys R Us version will be Hyde only. Next up will be the Hunchback of Notre Dame (with Select and TRU versions) and a TRU-only Mole Person. Beyond those will be Son of Frankenstein, a new Creature from the Black Lagoon with increased articulation, and a wholly new Van Helsing
- Universal Monsters Legacy Box #3: Phantom of the Opera, Invisible Man, Metalluna Mutant
- Universal Monsters Banks: Bride of Frankenstein, Wolfman
- Universal Monsters Retro Series: Phantom of the Opera, Metalluna Mutant
- Aliens: nothing was shown, but they mentioned Minimates, vehicles, and housewares
- The new Van Helsing will represent a departure from the Universal Monsters line with a figure not from any film. A new lineup will explore new monsters with historical or fantastic backgrounds, with a potential Jack the Ripper coming later.
- Lost in Space is a B9 (robot)-based license, so expect to see that character in all of DST’s usual formats. There may be a few things representing the family, but not a lot.
- The guys at DST would love to make a Marvel Select Apocalypse, but it’s not happening any time soon (too many movie properties to cover over the next few years).
- Days of Future Past movie Minimates? Hopefully, but it’s tough to get reference photos. They’d like to do a boxed set at least.
- Star Trek lines will definitely continue. They have plans for more ships, some based on previous releases but others are totally new! More Select figures will come as well, but slowly.
- For Aliens, could there be Star Trek scale light up/sound vehicles? They’re not sure if they could sell 40,000 Dropships... Tell them if you think they’re wrong!
- Domo will be fully represented with a new bank, pizza cutter, silicone tray, and bottle opener. The Domo license plate frame has been cancelled.
- No more Back to the Future Minimates. As for the 3rd movie DeLorean, DST was unsatisfied with sales of the others. If the tooling has been done on the last version they might release it, but if not it will never happen.
- Invincible may yield more Minimates down the line, but that’s probably it. There are no other characters popular enough for the Femme Fatales line, and DST does not have the license to make action figures.
Finally, Zach showed us a very cool demo of the Excelsior with sound clips featuring George Takei’s Captain Sulu!
Re: SDCC13: Diamond Select Toys Panel
Too bad about the Lost in Space license only being for the robot. I'd love to see them at least do a Will Robinson & Dr. Smith 2-pack too (same scale as Munsters please).
I'm excited to hear about this Borg base for Picard. Hope this will lead to more Borg stuff too.
I'll be all over the Universal Monsters & Munsters stuff.
And always happy for anything Lady Death-related