TF2011 - Attack of the Zombie Collectibles
An experiment in horror from the twisted mind of Dr. Mego...
Toy Fair 2011 coverage brought to you by the following fine sponsors: BigBadToyStore.com, Sekaido.com, and Collectibles Insurance.
At Toy Fair I had the great pleasure of meeting Dr. Mego, the man responsible for the nostalgic 8 inch action figures of the 70's and the resurgence of the retro-style collectible in present day. From Mattel's Retro-Action DC Superheroes to BifBangPow!'s wide assortment of movie and TV properties, Dr. Mego and his company EMCE Toys have had a hand in bringing these toys to life.
Now Dr. Mego is bringing something else back to life in the form of new zombie toys created in-house at EMCE Toys. The selection of walking dead product on display at Toy Fair was varied, including everthing from 8-inch retro-style figures to mini zombie (and human) figures that are a throwback to the "plastic army men" of yesteryear.
* WAR OF THE DEAD 8-INCH FIGURES
The forces of Z.E.R.O. (Zombie Emergency Response Operations) face off against the flesh-hungry undead with this original series of detailed 8" "Mego-style" figures. Shooting and shambling to retail this Fall/Winter at a SRP of $24.99 - $34.99, this cool collection stars:
- Z.E.R.O. COMMANDO
- Z.E.R.O. CADAVER DISPOSAL
- Z.E.R.O. RESEARCHER ZOMBIE
- CONSTRUCTION WORKER ZOMBIE
* NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
George A. Romero's 1968 zombie classic gets the Dr. Mego treatment. Following the release of Ben and Graveyard Zombie in 2007, this year will see a re-release of these two character figures this Fall/Winter as well as two new horrifying addiitons:
- ZOMBIFIED KAREN COOPER
Each figure (SRP $15.99 - $18.99) comes packed in a protective and reusable clam shell with card art by original Mego illustrator Harold Shull.
* CREATE YOUR OWN ZOMBIE 1/9 SCALE FIGURE KIT
Arguably the coolest zombie item on display was a kit that allows you to make your own walking undead 8-inch action figure. The DIY set comes with numerous head sculpts, body types, various outfits and even an instructional DVD to help you let loose your imagination. Look for it this Fall/Winter priced at a SRP of $49.99. Painting and assembly required.
* Hitting mass retail this fall will be a selection of zombie novelty items including (SRP $2.99 - $7.99):
- ZOMBIE CONTAINMENT UNITS: Just like the ones seen in classic zombie movies of the 80's, these industrial drums are filled with disgusting (and non-toxic) slime, each with 1 of 5 different zombies inside. Best of all, everything - drum and zombie - glows in the dark!
- ZOMBIES vs. ZOMBIE HUNTERS PLAYSET: "Plastic army men" were never like this! Stage your own zombie wars with this pack of 50 SWAT/HAZMAT units and rotting zombies.
- ZOMBIE HUNTER SOFTGUN KITS: Safe and fun toy weapons to stage your own zombie battles.
For a great selection of action figures and collectibles, check out BigBadToyStore.com, ToyDorks.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, SmallJoes.com, PastGenerationToys.com, Urban-Collector.com, MonkeyDepot.com, HobbyLinkJapan.com, and Sekaido.com.
To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with our sponsor Collectibles Insurance.
Re: TF2011 - Attack of the Zombie Collectibles
This is all kinds of win.
Zombie Mego's? Count me in. :D